Root canal treatment, also known as “endodontic therapy”, is a dental treatment carried out to repair and save damaged or infected teeth. When you undergo root canal treatment, the infected part (the pulp) is completely removed, the cavity cleaned and disinfected, and then filled and sealed with a rubber-like material called “Gutta-Percha”.
The term “Root Canal” is actually the natural cavity within the roots of the teeth, where the nerves and blood vessels are present, together these are called “Pulp”. When oral hygiene protocols are ignored, it affects the nerve function often causing cavities and pain.
Why do you need Root Canal Treatment?
When the pulp inside the tooth is infected, the bacteria begin to multiply in the area at an exponential rate, forming a cavity and an abscessed tooth. If you ignore it, you are likely to get taken down by pain, and your gums and cheeks start to swell. Also, you may experience bone loss around the tip of the root.
How Is it Done?
The root canal treatment consists of several steps, these are:
- The dental surgeon examines the X-ray of the tooth, the patient will be given local anaesthesia to numb the affected area.
- The dental surgeon drills through the crown of the affected molar to remove the pulp within the center of the tooth.
- The drilled part of the root canal and pulp chamber are cleaned and disinfected properly for the filling process.
- The dental surgeon fills the drilled tooth with a rubber-like material called “gutta-percha”.
- At last, the tooth is restored with a crown, which functions like other natural tooth.
Why Choose Us?
Many people believe that root canal treatment is painful and thus avoid seeing a dentist on purpose. They are likely to experience severe pain unless they get themselves treated. Here at Al Mumtaz Dental Center, we have the state-of-the-art technology combined with board certified, experienced dental surgeon to provide you the best possible treatment. Call us today to book an appointment.